Wednesday, November 24, 2004

The Zimbabwe Affair

This affair has not interested me too much personally and hence I have given it very little thought; but looking at the extreme passion with which the English fans feel about it, I am compelled to give it consideration.

What is interesting is the drama created by the media over this issue; it is almost like following a thriller approaching its climax; just look at the way Wisden Cricinfo covers it: Within the space of a couple of hours they have 3 different headlines: 1) Is Ban On Journalists sufficient for Pullout ? 2) Mani hints at England Pullout 3) England cancel flight to Zimbabwe. What next ?

As I continue to ponder, I face just 1 big question: Why England ? Australia played there without any qualms ... What is so special about England ... Why do they want to take on the morality issue here on their own?? I welcome the views from English fans on this one.

My take on this is that the publicity and hype generated by this tour could in the long run only improve the situation ... At least cricket fans from 9 other nations know what is happening in Zimbabwe; I'm sure there are dictatorial regimes in other countries of Africa and the World that we know nothing about ... Just like the common man say in a non-cricketing country like the US would not know about Zimbabwe

Finally, I think that Zimbabwe is such an insignificant cricketing nation, they hardly provide any value to the game: it is better if England just go about their business; beat them 5-0 and forget it. If Zimbabwe were a top cricket team like Australia or even average like India, I wonder how much more complicated the issue would be... Of course, the conditions in Zimbabwe would hardly allow the team to be a competitive one.

And now I shall go back to more interesting cricketing issues ...



No comments: