Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Coach

As predicted in my last post, Dean Jones has not been shortlisted for the position of coach by the wise men of Indian cricket. The short list includes:

Mohinder Amarnath
Greg Chappell
Tom Moody
Sandip Patil

I don't think Mohinder will make it. He is too nice a guy to be able to win over the others. His coaching resume is also limited in comparison and honestly, I don't see him being able to command Team India.

Sandip Patil, to be fair, has done a great job with Kenya and has worked his way up hence is a deserving candidate. But again, I'm not sure he is entirely free of the biases that haunt Indian cricket. However, I wouldn't mind him being given a go.

Tom Moody may have done a great job at Worcestershire but handling an international team - altogether different - especially since almost all players of this team have accomplished more than Moody ever did.

No such issues with Greg Chappell - he was a great batsman - and also seems to be a hard task-master. He seems to have done a good job with South Australia as coach as well - so, well the only thing that worries me is his proximity to Ganguly. While it is great that a captain and coach get on well - Indian cricket needs Ganguly to change his approach, perhaps play a different role. SOurav meanwhile seems quite happy to let things drift as they are. I hope Greg does not agree with him on this issue. I hope he makes Ganguly realize the need for change instead. If that can be done, I would vote for Greg Chappell out of these 4.

However, he is extremely expensive - so the BCCI might just think twice about him - that leaves Patil in with a chance

No comments: