Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Ashes

It is one of the greatest series of modern times and a tremendous achievement. Not that I am quite speechless for I am sure if I try hard enough I will be able to come up with an elaborate write up, but at the moment I somehow lack the inspiration. Hence I will just say Many Congratulations to England on a Superb Achievement. It is funny sometimes you look forward to an event so much with all kind of previews, tactics, suggestions and at the end of the spectacle you are at a loss for words.

Freddie, Tresco, Pietersen, Vaughany, Jones, Hoggard, Gilo, Harmy, Strauss - all have performed spledidly some time or the other. Of course, there were moments and periods of play that were crucial. McGrath's horribly ill-timed injuries, Ponting's terrible errors at the toss and on the field, Tresco's attacking batting at top, Freddie's magic at Edgbaston and powerful century at Trent Bridge and Pietersen's finishing touches at the Oval just to name a few.

For the Aussies Warne stood alone. There should be a lot of introspection in that camp. Clearly, this is not just a blip but a thorough exposition of the cracks in an apparently faultless unit. Personally I would like to see a change in captaincy. Warne would be my man. But let's see how it all goes.

No comments: