Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Random Post

Okay ... so I was away for 55 hours and I come back to find that nothing is quite what it was like before nor will it ever be. Because of this.

Well, when I first heard of the news I was kind of awestruck. Then after a few minutes when reality sank in I was disgusted.

Now I'm still not quite sure where I stand. Is this the greatest match ever as Cricinfo and several other sources so blatantly proclaim ??

Is it just an anomaly that needs to be applauded and moved on from ?

Is this the death of cricket - which is what my reaction was in my disgust - a feeling apparently shared by the great Barry Richards ?

Or am I being too gloomy and failing to appreciate a great display of batsmanship ? Of courage and unbelievable belief and determination in the face of a monumental challenge ?

Or is it something much more dangerous ?? Is this a trend where no total is ever going to be enough ?? Where the toss is going to more and more often decide the game ? Another milestone in a journey that is taking cricket to a place where the contest is only between bat and bat ?

1 comment:

Chemosit said...

I agree with sfx.
It was a great effort. Don't forget that a very similar Aussie team was skittled just a couple of days before. Realistically, 400+ was always going to happen. Why not enjoy it for what it was - a great match. I did, and will do the same for the next one where a team successfully defends 120. Its all cricket, and all good.