Saturday, December 03, 2005

Dumbstruck

I have been dumbstruck by Pakistan's fantastic performance to win the series 2-0 against England. Quite honestly, before the series started such a result was beyond my capacity of imagination. I expected a very close series, yes. I expected say a 1-1 draw, I had predicted that I would give England the edge to take the series. But I never expected Pakistan to take it by 2 matches. 1-0 I could have understood, thanks to an inspiring performance. But 2-0 is just comprehensive.

Mind you, I still maintain that England did not play badly. For long periods, consistently, they played GOOD cricket. Both the first and last Test was won by Pakistan really in one session. Not meaning to sound too critical, I know Pak *dominated* this test virtually throughout, but quite honestly it looked like a draw until lunch today. Osman Samiuddin on Cricinfo sums it up perfectly when he says the difference between the two sides was that Pakistan could produce moments of brilliance when most needed.

So, after 2 years Pakistan win a test series. First time under Woolmer and Inzy. And I am happy for them. Also happy that Shoaib Akhtar whom I was extremely harsh upon prior to the series came good. That too happened after two years. Coincidence ? Anyway, will probably write more about that later.

I think it is going to be a huge challenge when we tour Pak next year, and I keenly look forward to it. Note: I remain confident of our team !!

No comments: