Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What Rubbish !!!

The whole idea of the TV Rights issue threatening the future of a cricket series is utter rubbish and completely abominable. And I mean any damn series leave alone a big one like India v Pakistan. I guess I was just keeping quiet about the whole thing hoping that common sense would prevail and a solution be found. But this statement by the BCCI President is a load of crap.

OK. I need to find answers to a few questions. Why this whole mess ? Why can't the BCCI give it to Zee if it is the highest bidder ? Because it has no prior experience ? OK .. if that is the case why can't it give it to ESPN-STAR ? Because clearly I think they have stated that monetary value of the bid would not be the sole criterion ?? Why can it not let Zee go to hell in that scenario ?

OK. I realise that the above questions are a bit naive but they were necessary to get the basics right. Now, the situation as I understand is that the BCCI had in fact decided to give the rights to ESPN-STAR but Zee who had the highest bid went to court. Now once it enters the courts in India, it can be a real mess. (Don't get me wrong - I have great respect for the judiciary of India and their judgements) The problem is the delay, isn't it ?? A temporary solution was found for the Australia series but clearly that resulted in great losses for the BCCI.

I think with the delicate political angle to the series, the Government could persuade the courts towards a speedy resolution one way or the other without a compromise as happened last time. Until such time, our respected Board President better keep his mouth shut and start selecting his X1 for the warm-up match in Dharamshala.

No comments: