Thursday, April 14, 2005

For The Team's Sake ...

I am assuming and hoping that regardless of the status of the appeal Ganguly will give the Kanpur game a skip and leave the team to sort themselves in peace. Given that, I would like to discuss a few issues here about the team strategy. Some of these are sure to attract wrath and ridicule but I believe in the idea and shall put it forth anyways.

First, I would like to address the problem of the slog overs. Yuvraj is the only person in the team near enough to be able to play a Symonds for India. On the other hand, putting both Sehwag and Dhnoi at the top does not make sense for me. Dhoni was supposed to be a pinch-hitter but he is playing far too much like a batsman. So I suggest we let him open with Tendulkar. Put Dravid at 3, Kaif at 4 and Sehwag at the crucial #5 spot - that's the spot where Symonds bats, that's where South Africa have got Gibbs now - clearly, it is an important spot. Note again, this is despite Sehwag's great form as opener - I do not intend this as a demotion to Sehwag at all - in fact it is assigning him a tougher role which I believe he is capable of.

Mongia can come in at #7. More than a batter, his slow-left arm can be useful. The bowling is more or less OK - I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference who we pick in a game that is meant to humiliate bowlers anyway.

1 comment:

Anish Prasad said...

great idea buddy,mongia's spin did the trick,one over 22 runs ,HAIL GAME SUPREME,i believe dravid follows your blog.Would you mind doing some blog on the pakistan team also ,like dropping afridi,so that in case inzi also is reading your's..........