Monday, October 17, 2005

"As Long As They Want Me"

Michael Vaughan has this to say on captaining England:

"I'm sure there will come a stage where the players would like to hear a
different voice and like to have a different direction," he added. "When that is
I'm not too sure but it is up to the players and the ECB to decide how long they
want me to carry on. I would love to carry on for a while but it is not my
decision. I'll stay for as long as they want me."



Pity Sourav Ganguly did not seem to agree. He would have been spared all the humiliations and trauma had he opted to go out gracefully after the great win over Pakistan last year. But then very few captains get it right ain't it ?

As they say it is always better to go when people are asking 'Why' than when they are asking 'Why not'

1 comment:

M said...

yeah...i guess great captains usually find it tough to hang up! look what happened to steve waugh (literally begging for a place in ODI squad for 2003WC), then to kapil dev...faar better players than ganguly n still, their exits were much worse...
sunil gavaskar though showed some intelligence n quit qhen he was on top