Friday, November 11, 2005

Another "Twist"

Don't worry - I'm not talking of twists to any "sagas" like the GC-SG one etc. I'm referring to another instance of an interview "twisted" in such a way to convey a very different meaning. Consider this article from DNA - titled "The guys know who’s in charge, says Rahul Dravid"

Now just looking at the title, one is bound to feel that here is a bold proclamation by a successul captain and a warning to his predecessor who still harbours ambitions of recovering the throne that reads "Don't mess with me" - very unlike the Rahul we know.

Of course if you go ahead and read the whole article, you realise it is nothing of that sort.

Consider this relevant extract from there and I quote:

Dravid, who deputised whenever Ganguly was injured or suspended, said he was happy to be in charge.

“If you’re given the job, then it does help to get the message across, it does help from a team’s perspective,” he said. “The guys know who is in charge. These are still early days as captain and I’m learning along the way. It helps to have someone like Greg around. He’s done it before."


Now tell me when read in context does it convey the above meaning ?? To me it doesn't. But that's the way journalism works, isn't it ?

No comments: